Tres Seaver wrote:

That said, I suppose this should be either a conditional import or moved to a higher level altogether.

- -1 to the conditional import;  + 1 to moving the code.

Agree.

It seems to me it's also in the best interest of the Plone developers to have this cleaned up, right?
Yeah. The idea is for five.customerize to be generic and plone.app.customerize to be specific UI for Plone.

We need to avoid such dependencies altogether:  code which uses
'plone.portlets' should *not* be present in five:customerize.  Support
for that logically belongs in 'plone.portlets' itself, or some other
code which already has that package as a dependency.

It probably belongs in plone.app.customerize.

Martin