On Feb 11, 2008, at 10:06 AM, Christian Theune wrote:

Aaron Lehmann schrieb:
What if people are relying on those error messages to do different things? Possibly they already have normalization code they expect to come into play in this situation, which is different than yours

I see that people might be doing that, however, it seems like a bad idea to code that way. ;)

Maybe. But enforcing this on others seems to cut against "consenting adults." After all, how do you know that your desired resolution is the resolution for everyone?

On the other hand, having to do this seems annoying, so as someone writing new code I'd consider your proposed patch a feature, rather than a bugfix.

I'd be happy to declare it a feature, but I consider the existing state to not be ideal and thus it should be changed.

Possibly instead of returning an error, it might resolve the name, and take an optional callback that performs said resolution? That way, people who have their own resolution code can easily factor it in.

Aaron Lehmann