On Feb 23, 2008, at 9:26 AM, Christophe Combelles wrote:
I don't have enough experience with all the use cases of buildout and the develop-eggs, but at a first glance, I find it more logical to give priority to 'develop': 'develop' is supposed to point to a real path containing a setup.py, so when defining a develop-egg, you clearly indicate that you want *that* path, whathever version this develop-egg defines.

That is the philosophy that buildout takes. That's why, when picking versions, buildout prefers develop eggs over newer non-develop eggs. However, buildout will only use a develop egg if it satisfies stated requirements. As it stands today, specifying a version in a versions section is like stating a == requirement in a setup script or in a eggs option.

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation