Hi. I agree with Jim. Buildout is doing the right thing. This is not a conflict since you have explicitly identified the software with a version already. I think the right thing to do under the circumstances would be to append a custom versions.cfg to nail the versions you want. KGS versions is a point in time list and it does not apply to the full scope of what buildout is being used for. I believe this should be kept in mind since it serves more than z3.

Changes to buildout to have it automatically do the 'right' thing opens the implicit versus explicit argument. A developer would then need to be aware of the implicit cases that would cause a different software selection. Much like zcml configuration in zope, I want to tell buildout what to do and have it do it without surprise (or for that matter fighting any implicit nature folks may be inclined to give it). While I understand the concern about the development egg for your build, I would see any move in this direction as corrupting the nature of buildout to 'do what you have told it to do'.

Regards,
David