Wichert Akkerman wrote:
Previously Tres Seaver wrote:
I realize I have said this before, but then others keep urging the
"doctests everywhere" meme.

Indeed, and for that reason this can't be said enough. Doctests are
useful to create testable documentation. They are not the right tool to
create isolated, debuggable tests.

Not everyone agrees with this assertion.  I for one vastly prefer both
to read and write "unity" doctests over classic unit tests. And as "doctests everywhere" is the current status quo for just about the entire code base, I would expect a very convincing argument to be required to change.
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer