Hi Andreas. I think your response gets to the heart of the issue. For software to be useful, it is often more important for folks other than the author to understand it. This can only occur with communication. Sometimes it is the understanding of edgecases in particular, that gets lost over time. I find generally that I cannot keep in memory all of the details of the code I write. Several months afterwards without my own documentation, these details can be lost. So it is just important if I need to come back to it myself as for anyone else.

If the test is worth writing, it is not difficult to add a small amount of text to communicate about it. If the software is worth writing in the first place, I consider the code incomplete without doctests. For community projects, it is often the case that it is not the author maintaining the code in the future. This only strengthens the argument for doctests and the reason this has become the standard for zope.

Regards,
David

Andreas Jung wrote:

usage of your module. It's basically not of interest for telling them all edgecases. Addressing edgecase is unittests is basically good enough for me. They sometime require more code to test and put this into a doctest is often just overhead.

Andreas