On Mar 11, 2008, at 5:01 PM, Matthew Grant wrote:

Hi!

On Sun, 2008-03-09 at 20:54 -0400, Gary Poster wrote:
I did have one somewhat trivial thought. I generally prefer durations
and intervals expressed as datetime.timedeltas myself, because they
convey their meaning without having to look it up docs (is that number
value a number of seconds?  milliseconds?  minutes?).  There might
even be a zcml built in for schema field for that; I believe I
remember that there is in ZConfig.

Minor detail - yes it has warts - there are other things that will need
doing to, its just time that this code was put out there.

Completely agree.

Also, some variety of doctest would be nice.  Even when a package is
not using doctests, I add new tests as doctest unless there's a really
good reason not to.

It was the only way I could debug and introspect the problems from the
Unit tests - the python debugger does not run properly from the
doctests, and the original test are all unit tests...

Understood.

For future reference, if you out the set_trace on the same line, you *can* use pdb. For instance, this would let you walk into the ``do_foo`` function.

    >>> import pdb; pdb.set_trace(); do_foo()

In this case, it looks like you've made the code significantly more
robust, which has added some probably necessary complexity.  The code
looks readable, but I recommend a maintainer-oriented overview/
introduction as a doctest, at the least.  For instance, perhaps you
could think about documentation about the rationale for the approach
and about the dance that this code participates in (with the lock
files and all the possible SMTP error conditions and the code's
nice, but I'm only asking for what I myself tend to give, unfortunately.

A little does need adding there - I have scanned state machine diagrams and the design rationale. I will go and put those in the checkin when I
have a spare moment.

Sounds like a great start.

Thanks for your work.

Gary