Andreas Jung wrote:
lots of old-style Zope products are now available as eggs. However a lot of people still don't work with buildout and need the old-style tar-balls.

Does anyone know of a setuptools extension for generating and upload the tar-balls directly from a Products.XXXX package? Using the 'sdist' command is not suitable since it includes the 'Products' top-level directory which is not what we want.

Not yet, but I would be willing to help with writing one, as I could use one quite regularly.