During the porting of Zope2 to python2.5 We are now porting the
module Zope2 which was having 4
failures and 1 error. All of these were due to the change in the
hierarchy of exception classes. The failures were arised due to the
failure of the function 'SetStatus' in   / **
/lib/python/ZPublisher/HTTPResponse.py to set the status. In the above
function there is one checking
 if( isinstance(status, types.ClassType) and issubclass(status, Exception)):
                   status = status.__name__    #status is being set here..

in which status is actually the zException class and it is new style
class in python2.5 , therefore this condition always fails and the
status is set to arbitrary value 500.
We tried removing this first condition ( ie using
if(issubclass(status, types.ClassType ) ) and it didn't show any new
failures or errors in either python2.4 or 2.5 . And the 4 failures
also got vanished. We tried to make out the significance of that first
checking but couldn't.

What is the significance of this checking ?  ( so that the code can be
edited to adopt the
checking in someother way for python2.5 )
Or Can it be just avoided?