Hi there,

Christian Theune wrote:
[snip]
This results in the following properties for the CHANGES.txt:

- The trunk will contain sections for feature releases (e.g. 1.0, 1.1, ..) but
  not bugfix releases (e.g. 1.0.2).

- Bug fixes will appear once in the feature release of the trunk (e.g. 1.1)
  and once in each individual dot release of the various maintenance branches
  that it went into (e.g. 1.0.y)

- There is not individual "large" CHANGES.txt that appears to be a simple
  concatenation of the various changes on branches because we respect the
  tree-ness of maintenance branches.

I'm +1 with this. This I think is easy enough to follow and doesn't require a lot of coordination between CHANGES.txt on release branches and trunk, which is good. It's also what I have been trying to do myself already. :)

One practice I've been wondering about is whether notes get appended to the bottom or the top of the section?

I.e. if I have this:

1.0 (unreleased)
----------------

Features
~~~~~~~~

* Foo

* Bar

Bug fixes
~~~~~~~~~

* Qux

* Hoi

And then I add a feature 'Kwack' or fix a bug 'Dag', where do I add them? To the top of the sections or to the bottom? I've noticed people do different things there, which sometimes leads to confusion (I might look at the bottom to see what new fixes there are, but I should be looking at the top for some more).

I myself am in favor of adding these things to the bottom of the individual sections, but I can see the argument for adding to the top of sections only.

(beyond all this, we should still have the ability to reorganize things if it makes sense before the release, it's just basically what happens between releases in normal activity that concerns me).

Regards,

Martijn