Second try. My first response to this lead to a discussion about immediate or delayed syncing of CHANGES.txt. That was not my point.

Christian Theune wrote:
On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:20:17AM -0400, Fred Drake wrote:
On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Christophe Combelles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
The risk is that people will think the bug is fixed in 3.6.0 and not in the
3.5 branch.
That's a general documentation risk, and I don't think anyone else has
come up with a better way to deal with this.  If you can find an
example that solves this without excess burden on the maintainers,
that would be really good to hear about.

The problem here is in managing the release notes in a single file within
version control is easy to do.

Everything else that makes this more clear either requires tedious manual
tasks or really hard automation.

Additionally, if you're bound to a branch, I guess it would be really easy to
see what's changed there -- the release notes of that branch will tell you.

The issue is that providing a 'correct' flat view of a tree structure is
really hard in this case. The version numbering does not imply a time line!

There is always *one* well defined current maintenance branch. Version numbering *does* imply a time line if you ignore old maintenance branches. It's not hard at all to get this right.

Even when merging all the release notes, one would see the same change appear
in 3.5.3, 3.6.4 and 3.7.0 eventually. Now, as you would read it from top to
bottom, you might also think that it wasn't fixed in 3.5, even if you look

You don't have to make things more complicated than they are right now. Nobody wants to merge release notes from old maintenance branches to newer branches. Changes on those branches are just backports.

(Agreed, the lookup would be much simpler.)

I think it is important to make it simple to look up what's new.

I guess that merging release notes automatically would actually be easier in
the format that I proposed ...

I doubt that. In the format you propose the change note has to be placed in a different context. If we group changes on the trunk the same way as on the current maintenance branch, the context will always be the same.