On Jun 19, 2008, at 12:32 , yuppie wrote:

There is always *one* well defined current maintenance branch. Version numbering *does* imply a time line if you ignore old maintenance branches. It's not hard at all to get this right.

I don't think that assumption holds true. Again, using the CMF as an example, there were times when we had 3 release branches. I don't want to start a discussion why that was or how to prevent that from happening, I'm just saying it's not correct to say you always have just one maintenance branch. And that's where all those fancy schemes fall down.