Stephan Richter wrote:
On Wednesday 16 July 2008, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
this came out of the ST project, where we constantly repeated this sort
of code.
Not that it matters much, but I think it was Martijn Faassen who wrote it.

... who worked on ST at the time and saw this pattern there.

Yes, I forget the details, but I do recall this change being schooltool-inspired or driven.

Obviously I don't understand Fred's rather strongly worded objections either. :)

In Grok, we have grok.Adapter and grok.Annotation. grok.Annotation is, I think, easy to explain: it's an adapter that actually persists its own data. The factory pattern supports this.