Chris Withers wrote:
> Why does the egg in the subject line exist

Because somebody made it and uploaded it to It
probably happened during the initial eggification period when we didn't
have a solid release process [1].

> and why does buildout pick it over a stable release?

Because buildout, like easy_install, will pick the newest available
version for a distribution. Fortunately, buildout has a prefer-stable
option so that you can tell it to prefer stable over alpha/beta/dev
releases. Also, in any serious situtation you'd want to pin your
versions, e.g. using the KGS [2] or a manual list.