On 30.10.2008 21:41 Uhr, Tres Seaver wrote:

> From a Zope perspective 2.11 should have had Python 2.5 support, but
nobody cared enough to make it happen. We can support Python 2.4 and 2.5
alone in Zope 2.12 and release it in the next months.

We should do a 2.12 very soon (before year end, likely), and it should
retain 2.4 compatibility.

What are our current needs for having a Python 2.5 compatible Zope 2 version (except it would be nice for having one). Being in sync with the latest Python 2.6 version is much more important than jumping on a half-dead horse like Python 2.5. Introducing another major Zope release with very little new exciting feature does not make sense to me at the time right now. It just adds another major release we have to support (we already support 2.9-2.11 and a bit 2.8) + the complexity for supporting two different Python versions for Zope 2.12. I am open to arguments but I really want to see why we need Zope 2.12 with Python 2.5 support this year (or at least very soon).

In that case Plone will neither use 2.11 nor 2.12 but go straight for a
Zope 2.13 including Python 2.6. A major release every six month would be
desirable for us in that case. Right now I don't see anyone, who would
be using those releases. If those people exist, please speak up.

Plone isn't the only consumer of Zope2, although it is clearly the
biggest one.

Tres, what are you current needs and requirements (properly based on your Repoze project)? I agree that Plone isn't the only consumer but I wonder if all other consumers really have the need jumping on every train passing the train station. We have the luxury with four supported Zope 2 major release. I don't want a fith right now unless we are having very good reasons.

>Keeping an orderly succession of releases with good
compatibility is important for the whole ecosystem (frankly, Plone
should be willing to move to newer Zope versions even in a second dot
release, but that is another debate).

This is already the case (more or less). In my experience strategic consumers are possibly more interested in slower release cycles instead of getting major releases very often. I doubt that much people care about using Python 2.4 or Python 2.5 (I personally don't care much about Python 2.5)..other feature likes e.g. a new ZODB version with some cool new feature is more important for justifying a new major release.

If Sidnei should be successful with making Plone 2.11 compatible with Python 2.5 then we might add "inofficial" support for Python 2.5 to the current Zope 2.11 release...but as stated earlier I would like to see some arguments why Python 2.5 compatiblity is necessary now and why Python 2.6 support at some time next year would not be good enough.

fn:Andreas Jung
org:ZOPYX Ltd. & Co. KG
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]