Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2008, at 09:10 , Andreas Jung wrote:
>
>>> In the meantime, we can acknowledge that 2.8 and 2.9 are
>>> "retired" (no
>>> future work except maybe important security fixes),
>
>> +1
>
>>> and announce that
>>> 2.10 will be retired after the 2.12 release:
>> We have to care about 2.10 for a longer period because of the large
>> amount of Plone 3.X installations.
>
> While there have been attempts to come up with an orderly release
> schedule I don't think anyone ever suggested some kind of deprecation
> scheme for Zope versions. It would be very helpful for everyone in the
> community to have a place to go where they can see which versions are
> in which "support state". So far Zope versions just slipped into
> unsupported state by some implied - but unstated - consensus.
>
> Clearly, it's impossible to support all these versions from 2.8 to
> 2.12, +1 from me for dropping 2.8 and 2.9. Just make sure this is
> mentioned somewhere obvious.

>From what I remember there have been discussions around this while
attempting to get to a six-month time based release cycle at some point.

If I'm not mistaken there was something about every release being
supported two years after its initial release in those discussions.

But time went on, we haven't sticked to a time-based release schedule
and those policies haven't been written down or been followed.

So it's probably time to document and decide on them once again :)

Hanno