Malthe Borch wrote:
> Martijn Pieters wrote:
>> I object as well, and have asked for Malthe to provide his reasoning
>> here at the Plone Performance Sprint in Bristol, but so far his only
>> motivation is that he wants to see if he can get this to work without
>> a C-extension. I am sceptical he'll be able to, and am not convinced
>> it'll be worth introducing risks.
> The obvious motivation for this is to:
> * Reduce code complexity
> * Allow operation in a pure-Python environment
> As for cons, any change is a risk and I believe the concensus seen in
> this thread is that it outweighs the above mentioned motivation.

Allowing operation in a pure-Python environment is a worthwhile goal,
which I support.

Unless it can be clearly demonstrated that the new method is equivalent
in both performance and security, talk of dropping the C extension seems
somewhat premature. A pure Python fallback for this module would however
be interesting to everybody, I think.

My suspicion from observing the discussions in this thread so far
indicate that a drop in code complexity doesn't seem to be a necessary
consequence of rewriting to Python either.