Based on private responses I have received I would like to clarify some

I fully realize that people have their days jobs.  So do I.  I do not
get paid to work on this project.

Secondly, I am a ZCA user.  I am a Python tinkerer, not a programmer.
It seems to me that it would take me days to contrive a mockup of this
situation so that there is a live demonstration of this error outside of
my project.

I believe that it would take an experienced Python/Zope developer no ore
than 1-2 hours to install my application, see the problem and provide a

There is an explanation of how to exercise the problem as well as how to
apply my suggested fix here:

The pertinent part is the last 4 paragraphs and it is copied below for

I will later commit an update that fixes two errors he found.  I will
also include a new file that correctly processes
the multi-level Object field calls that we make.  I have no idea when
the Zope gurus will be updating zope.schema  But I know this fix works
for our needs.  It will be in the docs directory and named as

To see the problem that exists in the current you can start
your server and verify that you can go to
http://localhost:8080/oship/archetypedetails and verify that you can see
the archetype details.  In your terminal window you should see that
there are no errors reported.

Stop your server and go to
oship/km/openehr/ehr/cluster/ and around line
#75 and uncomment the self.parentArchetype assignment.  Now start your
server and go to the link above.  You will get a server error and in
your terminal window you'll see that you have a WrongContainedType

Stop your server.  Replace in you zope.schema egg directory
(rename your original first) with the Restart your
server and you will see that it now correctly  processes the multi-level
Object fields.  If you want more details about this then please see the
bug report I filed on Launchpad

This issue is such a huge frustration for me that I am offering a bounty
of 100USD out of my personal pocket to the first person that solves the
issue, gets it committed to a published zope.schema egg and included in
the standard Grok distribution.

It seems to me to be a reasonable (though not extravagant) amount since
most of the trouble shooting has already been done.

On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 08:35 -0200, Tim Cook wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have had an issue on the table for months.  I started a dialog about
> it here:
> The thread was interesting, helpful and did lead me to find an error in
> some schema definitions because of a misunderstanding of the required
> attribute.  But that had nothing to do with the problem.
> It was first thought that it was a nasty, empty error report.  After
> some investigation I discovered that it was an error that shouldn't be
> an error.  Once I determined what I thought was the cause and a possible
> fix I posted a bug report on Launchpad
> So here we are.  I have a possible solution and the only comments I get
> from the Zope Community are private emails (yes plural) asking me if
> anyone is working on this issue.  I have to say that as far as I can
> tell; no.  At this point I would be happier if someone just told me why
> my fix might negatively affect the other schema field validations.
> Now I realize that I must be the only person in the entire world to
> exercise zope.schema this way.  BUT! It should work or it should be WELL
> documented that you  cannot have cascading attribute=Object(IMySchema)
> definitions.
> The description of the project is here:
> This is a rather major project.  See: for
> some metrics.  We have just received three years of funding from the
> Brazilian government to complete the platform and develop an
> Epidemiological decision support system on top of it to improve the
> recognition of syndromic outbreaks.
> Right now the hardworking core open source team understands that we need
> to replace with our own to make it work.  But when
> the project is ready, in a few months, for healthcare application
> developers worldwide to start using it.  It may be a hard sell to say;
> "Yeah we use the really cool, robust, well tested and trusted
> application server called the Zope Component Architecture because it
> really shows the strengths of the open source development process.  Oh,
> by the way, after everything is installed you have to replace a core ZCA
> file with the one we provide you in order to make it actually work."
> Doesn't sound very professional to me and it should be embarrassing to
> the Zope Community if that has to happen.
> Thank you for reading this long posting.  I hope someone delivers me a
> Holiday package in the form of a fixed zope.schema package.  :-)
> Cheers,
> Tim
Timothy Cook, MSc
Health Informatics Research & Development Services
LinkedIn Profile:
Skype ID == timothy.cook
*You may get my Public GPG key from  popular keyservers or   *
*from this link*