in the last week I noticed that reducing buildout's socket timeout to
something relatively low (3-5 seconds) made a lot of buildouts go much

It looks like various package metadata points off to bad
servers that hang.

I haven't had a buildout fail on me because of setting such
a low timeout -- I only got annoyed when running with the longer

I wonder whether it might be an idea to lower the
default in general?

Christian Theune · c...@gocept.com