Jim Fulton wrote:

> BTW, I strongly discourage from imports. (I didn't always have this
> opinion, but have seen the error of my ways. Thanks to Fred Drake for
> nudging me in this direction.) IMO, this is wildly more important than
> any of the issues raised in this thread.

I like from imports as they allow me to provide a public API in the
__init__.py of a package (instead of scattering it all over the place in
sub-modules of the package nobody should need to know about). Absolute
imports tend to break this ability in subtle ways.

I suspect there are two possibilities:

* no API defined in __init__.py and absolute imports

* API defined in __init__.py and dotted.package.name.references don't work.

This looks like a religious debate though.