Hi there,

Full disclosure first: I was involved writing up the proposal.

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 00:51 +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:
> [snip]
> > Sure. But that doesn't mean a steering group is the right solution.
> Why not? What do you think is the right solution?
> I can see a number of alternatives:
> * a pope that has the leadership role. We had Jim, but the pope's
> resting. We could institute a new pope. Who?
> * a small team of people, let's say 2 to 5 that takes on that leadership
> role, sharing some of the burden and representing a slightly wider range
> of interests. A steering group.
> * a voting system. The current system of +1 or -1 from anybody who
> bothers to reply isn't very effective in my experience; in any
> controversial discussion the opinions are so mixed nothing tends to
> happen, or alternatively people just avoid discussions and do things
> without discussions. Solutions proposed that are harder to understand
> might get ignored.

The voting system option doesn't solve all issues you projected. A
voting system can't "herd" for open issues, for example. So you still
would need someone to invoke/maintain the procedures *around* the voting

For nurturing the community I think people are needed. And I think those
people should have a public mandate that they're in charge for certain

Christian Theune · c...@gocept.com