Jonas Meurer wrote:
> hello,
>
> On 13/06/2010 Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Jonas Meurer <jo...@freesources.org> wrote:
>>> another build system would be magnificent :-)
>>>
>>> the new build system in zope2.12 makes it hard/impossible to distribute
>>> zope2 binaries within linux/*bsd/hurd/... distributions. so far no
>>> distribution i know contains zope2.12, and the most obvious reason is
>>> the new build system.
>> In the Zope community we have decided to stop maintaining our own
>> build infrastructure, as we simply do not have the resources to do so.
>> Getting this right in a cross platform manner including Windows is no
>> small task and there's no general open-source build infrastructure
>> that provides this. Therefor we have decided to go with a language
>> specific build infrastructure in the form of distutils and its
>> extension setuptools / distribute.
>>
>> Personally I think this has been the right choice for us and has
>> triggered a new interest in distutils. distutils2 is the latest
>> offspring of that effort and is making good progress. Better
>> integration into operating system package managers is one of the main
>> focus areas of that effort. While solving these issues on the Python
>> language level takes more time, it ultimately is the better approach.
>>
>>> thus i suggest to either provide monolithic tarballs which do contain
>>> the debendencies, or change release policy for the dependencies to not
>>> break backwards compability with every minor release.
>> I consider packaging up individual Python distributions as individual
>> system packages as a flawed approach. The specific dependencies on
>> exact versions of these distributions for any given application are
>> too diverse for this approach to make much sense. The number of
>> releases is so frequent and the stability requirements so different
>> from system packages, that this just isn't a good match.
>>
>> If I were to package anything as a system package, then it would be
>> one big package for something like CMFDefault, Plone or Zenoss as an
>> application or one package for a custom developed application.
>> zc.sourcerelease is one approach to help in this task for a
>> zc.buildout based application.
>
> first, thanks for clarifying. did i get you right, that for the future,
> monolithic source releases of zope2 are planned again once the dust has
> settled?

No such plans exist.  Your desire for a network-free install needs to be
backed up by some work, as none of the core developers have that goal.

> and second, does documentation exist which explains how to craft a
> monolithic tarball with zc.sourcerelease in order to build zope2.12
> without network access? i still didn't get the picture regarding
> buildout, and thus don't understand zc.sourcerelease either :-/

A casual browse of the zc.sourcerelease page on PyPI yields:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.sourcerelease#creating-source-releases-from-buildouts

Tres.
- --