On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 08:49:53AM +0800, Martin Aspeli wrote:
> On 10 August 2010 02:25, Marius Gedminas <mar...@gedmin.as> wrote:
> > I've added ETag support for zope.browserresource in a branch:
> > http://zope3.pov.lt/trac/changeset/115596
> >
> > Does anybody have any comments/objections?  If not, I'd like to merge
> > this to trunk and release zope.browserresource 3.11.0.
>
> No strong objections, really, but bear in mind that people will likely
> want to customise this.

Do you have any ideas about the API for customizing this?

> With plone.caching / plone.app.caching we have a framework that, among
> other things, deals with browser resources and sets etag,
> last-modified and other headers according to rules configured by the
> developer and/or administrator.

Is it built on top of zope.browserresource, or is it entirely
independent?

I've grepped the sources of both plone.caching and plone.app.caching.
They don't import zope.browserresource, so I guess the answer is
"wndependent", unless I'm missing something.  Your next sentence
leads me to think I *am* missing something:

> I think that would just stomp on etags set by zope.browserresource,

but then zope.browserresource's GET handler would reject _your_ etag in
its If-None-Matches header check, so there may be a problem here?

> but worth bearing in mind that for bigger applications like Plone, we
> need a centralised, overarching and configurable strategy for cache
> headers.

Marius Gedminas
--
http://pov.lt/ -- Zope 3/BlueBream consulting and development