On 10/07/2010 03:01 PM, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 08:52:41AM +0200, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>> On 10/6/10 18:33 , Tres Seaver wrote:
>>> +1 for dropping the test:  if we aren't going to try to fix it to pass,
>>> then scrap it.  Note that I actually feel the same way about *all* the
>>> every-day failures:  the value of the every-day mail drops sharply when
>>> there are any "expected" failures.
>> For me personally the value has dropped so far that I am mostly ignoring
>> those emails.
> I used to ignore them, now I pay attention.
>> They are hard to parse to begin with and there are just
>> too many buildbot entries.
> What do you think about the overview table at
> http://docs.zope.org/zopetoolkit/process/buildbots.html#the-nightly-builds
> ?
>> I wonder if it would make sense to send
>> separate emails per software package (such as ZTK, Zope2, etc) so that
>> people can pick and choose.
> -1 for separate emails.  One per day is plenty enough.
> +1 for better organization within the email.
> Currently the build results are grouped by status, and then ordered by
> time.  I'd prefer if they were grouped by status, and then grouped by OS
> (or by project; don't care much) inside the larger per-status groups.

I think that ordering by name, only showing the "bad" status is a better
idea for the *summary*.

Having a stable sorting makes it easier to look for "your" entry.
Dropping the OKs will make noise go away.

I also suggest a single URL in the mail to go to a more detailed page in
case you care for something specific to avoid the noise of visible text
urls sprinkled all over the place.

Like this:

Subject: Zope Tests: 42 OK, 8 Failed

zc_buildout_dev py_244_win32 / winbot.zope.org - FAILED
zope2.12 slave-osx / thehealthagency.com - FAILED
zope2.12 slave-ubuntu64 / thehealthagency.com - UNKONWN
ztk_dev py_254_win32 / winbot.zope.org - FAILED
ztk_dev py_265_win32 / winbot.zope.org - FAILED
ztk_dev py_265_win64 / winbot.zope.org - FAILED
ztk_dev py_270_win32 / winbot.zope.org - FAILED
ztk_dev py_270_win64 / winbot.zope.org - UNKNOWN

Status details can be found here:

Christian Theune · c...@gocept.com