Am 08.11.2010, 15:35 Uhr, schrieb Brian Sutherland

> If no-one replies, I'll assume that 3% is just not enough to be
> interesting and do nothing;)

Hi Brian,

thanks for sharing this but it looks to me like a micro-optimisation that
isn't really worth going against best practice for - by using explicit

-        return self.__tagged_values.get(tag, default)
+        return getattr(self, '_Element__tagged_values', {}).get(tag,

Any improvements higher up the stack (using slots, different Python
version or compilers like LLVM) are likely to have a more significant
effect. Might be worth timing a slots-based implementation.

Charlie Clark
Managing Director
Clark Consulting & Research
German Office