On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 12:10:35 +0100
Laurence Rowe <l...@lrowe.co.uk> wrote:

> I agree with Jonas that any idea of giving a package named Zope2 a
> version number that is not 2.x is only going to lead to more
> confusion. For Zope2 we're used the x in 2.x.y being the major version
> now anyway, the next release should be 2.14. Lets stick with our
> convention until we have something that we really do want to promote
> to users outside the existing development community, I expect that
> will be a few years away yet.

  I fully agree with that. A major version of Zope 2 is actually a
  minor at the version meaning, but everybody knows that for instance
  to switch from 2.10 to 2.11 you have to review and update your code
  like if it was a real major version change at the version meaning.

  That would be really confusing to do otherwise, since it was like
  that for years.

  I am also in favor of dropping the 2, but picking a new name would
  be nice, like to have 'framework x' 10 that map to Zope 2 2.10,
  'framework x' to 2.11. Other products did that, Solaris,
  Mac OS X ... it is not strange to do so I think.

Sylvain Viollon -- Infrae
t +31 10 243 7051 -- http://infrae.com
Hoevestraat 10 3033GC Rotterdam -- The Netherlands