On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 20:57, Tres Seaver <tsea...@palladion.com> wrote:
> FWIW, the port to Python3 of substantial existing web framework code is
> already a dubious proposition:  nearly everybody doing it these days is
> suffering pain (making their own code more complicated by straddling) in
> order to gain hypothetical future benefits.

The framework as a whole should not straddle versions. Just as we drop
backwards incompatibility for Zope 4 and then Zope 5 and then Zope 6,
etc, in one of these moves we drop backwards incompatibility by moving
from Python 2 to Python 3. That in fact is probably a good reason for
a new release all by itself. :-)

The same thing goes for Plone. Once Zope X does the move, Plone Y
does. Only the packages and products for Plone should need to straddle
versions.

//Lennart