On 19.08.2012 10:30, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

On Aug 19, 2012, at 10:17 , Lennart Regebro <rege...@gmail.com> wrote:

And since it becomes ever easier to accept code from unknown sources (e.g. pull
requests) legal code ownership becomes an issue again.

And that returns me to my first question: Is it really legally
different for a contributor to accept a pull request from a
non-contributor compared with a contributor merging a patch from a
non-contributor?

Legally, both are disallowed unless there's some proof (written statement etc)
from the code author that he assigns ownership of the patch or the contents of
that pull request to the contributor who is doing the checkin.

In the past we haven't done a good job of enforcing this clear ownership assignment
chain. There are always code patches from non-contributors in the bug tracker that may
make it into the code base with the help of a contributor. There's a grey area: Is the
act of submitting a patch into the Zope bug tracker enough to signal "I am giving
you ownership of this code"? I am not sure.

GitHub makes this pulling in of "outside" code even easier. I'm afraid it will
become even harder to really maintain this chain of custody.

I just wonder why this works then for other projects like plone or pyramid which basically follows similar rules as the ZF with a signed contributor agreement required in order to make core contributions.

http://plone.org/foundation/contributors-agreement/agreement.pdf/view

https://github.com/Pylons/pyramid/blob/master/CONTRIBUTORS.txt

btw - pyramid seem to have a very pragmatic approach for the signing process ;)

Either way - SVN or GIT - it is just a question IF merging code from a non-contributor is done BY a contributor, not HOW.

For me the discussion sounds a little like a general denial against github using the legal story as rationale.

robert

jens

Robert Niederreiter

Squarewave Computing