On Feb 21, 2013, at 09:38 , Hans-Peter Locher <hans-peter.loc...@inquant.de>
wrote:

> In a distributed application,
> you cannot always ensure that you have each component
> "under control".
> The url is the most basic interface to a web application.
>
> In Plone the id (and therefore the url) is generated from user's title input.
> For a title unicode is perfectly fine and needed (especially in unicode
> countries like germany).
>
> If Plone/Zope would generate utf-8 ids by default you'll get utf-8 urls from
> the users generating the content immediately.
>
> This will lead to unpredictably errors (as most urls will still work as they
> don't contain utf-8 but some do)
> in the distributed applications.

What kind of errors are you thinking of?

> Another issue might be that some developer tools might stop working / or only
> work in latest versions
>
> E.g.
>
> Python's urllib and xmlrpclib
> Selenium IDE
> windmill
> jmeter
> …

All of these will still work fine. One thing to realise is that an UTF-8 URL
itself is still an ASCII thing: it uses %-quoting for non-ASCII (and some
other) characters. For example my local test site has a URL which looks like
http://localhost:8080/Pløne/ in my browser but it really is
http://localhost:8080/Pl%C3%B8ne/ . To get there Zope uses urllib.quote()
internally, for example in the implementation of the absolute_url() method.

> In my opinion having utf-8 urls should be possible in Zope/Plone.
> But not by default.

I have no problem with making that configurable.

Wichert.