Hello,

Well at least easy_install docs say that:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#id6

"""
When downloading or processing downloaded files, Easy Install recognizes distutils source distribution files with extensions of .tgz, .tar, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, or .zip. And of course it handles already-built .egg distributions as well as .win32.exe installers built using distutils.
"""