Dominik Huber wrote:
Jim Fulton wrote:

Dominik Huber wrote:

Jim Fulton wrote:

OK, here's an alternate proposal:

  If the permission attribute is used in the adapter directive and the
  permission is not zope.Public, then:

    If the adapter doesn't provide ILocation, we location proxy it and
    set the parent.

    If the adapter does provide ILocation and it's __parent__ is None,
    we set the __parent__.

  This will be accomplished with a custom factory.

Does this make you happy? :)

Yes, cool  ;)
Can I help anything or are you going to implement that code

I don't think I'll have time to do this soon. Will this be for 3.1 or 3.2? Is it a feature or a bug fix? :)

I fixed that issue within the branch 'Zope3/branches/dominik-locatableadapters'
Jim, could you take a look at that please. Thank you very much in advance!

This looks great, however, it points out a serious problem with implicitly proxying adapters. You proxy adapters that don't require a permission. This led to the breakage you encountered with key references.

We should *only* add the location if the adapter requires a permission other
than zope public.  Key rereferences don't require a permission and should not
be location proxied. Doing so makes them unpicklable.

We're going to need to fix the trusted adapter factory to do this correctly.
I suggest we create a new kind of trusted adapter factory, perhaps
"LocatingTrustedAdapter" factory that adds the location. This should
only be used when the adapter directive specified a permission other
than zope.Public. Otherwise, the original trusted adapter factory should
be used.

Of course, you should revert the change to key references.

I'd be happy to look at this again when you're done.

Thanks.

Jim

P.S. Please make sure source lines are 79 characters or less in lengnth. :)

-- Jim Fulton mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Python Powered! CTO (540) 361-1714 http://www.python.org Zope Corporation http://www.zope.com http://www.zope.org _______________________________________________ Zope3-dev mailing list Zope3-dev@zope.org Unsub: http://mail.zope.org/mailman/options/zope3-dev/archive%40mail-archive.com