Jim Fulton wrote:
[snip]
2. The X in Zope 3X means that there is not yet support for
   Zope 2 transition.  It's about setting expectations.

But we're setting the expectation that one day there will be a version of Zope 3 that supports Zope 2. Is this a realistic expectation? Stephan doesn't seem to think so, for one.

   I'm OK with dropping the X is someone else wants to manage
   this communication another way, but I'd rather not drop it.

You could just say "Zope 3 is not compatible with Zope 2". After all, it's not like the X says this very much either. This is not really unprecedented for development platforms. Perhaps the other way to go about is to rename Zope 3 to something else entirely. :)

   When we do finally have a story for transitioning Zope 2
   apps to Zope 3:

a) we will not renumber

Sounds good.

   b) We don't know the nature of that transition support, so
      we should not worry now about whether it will clutter
      anything.

I agree with that.

3. If I have anything to say about it, there will never be a Zope 4. :)

It just depends on how you count feature releases; for marketing reasons you might want to call a significant feature advance Zope 4. If Zope 4 means a total rewrite from scratch, then please noooooh.

4. I'm OK with dropping the extra 3 in the release names.  IMO
   either Zope X3.1.0 or Zope 3.0.1 are fine.

Glad to see that.

Regards,

Martijn