Stephan Richter wrote:
On Thursday 26 May 2005 12:53, Jim Washington wrote:

I would rather not alter and maintain the foundation-level code in*.  Would it be possible to do this as a product?  Presuming
it is bad form to monkey-patch, is
there a more component-ish way to do the same thing?  Or would it be
best to set-up a collaboration and put it in the core?

Here is how to do it for the current trunk.

1. Create your custom HTTPPublicationRequestFactory implementation, basically extending the __call__() method.

2. Create a server type using your own factory; see

3. Register you custom server type as a utility, see

4. In zope.conf use your custom server type.

5. Implement the protocol similar to XML-RPC.

If you're looking for an example of how an external package provides another server type, see the davuseragent package I wrote once with Paul Everitt ( It's written for Zope X3.0 but could easily be adapted to 3.1.