I am presently working on a bugfix for issue 302 (I hope that's ok). However an existential question arose when dealing with Bytes field and UTF-8 encoding...

Quoting the Zope3 dev. book (http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/Zope3Book/schema.html) :
--- start of quote ---

   * BytesWidget, BytesAreaWidget: Direct descendents from TextWidget
     and TextAreaWidget, the only difference is that these widgets
     expect bytes as input and not a unicode string, which means they
     must be valid ASCII encodable.
   * ASCIIWidget: This widget, based on the BytesWidget, ensures that
     only ASCII character are part of the inputted data.

--- end of quote ---

Moreover, looking at the source code (src\zope\app\form\browser\textwidgets.py) proves that the class definition of ASCIIWidget is just an "alias" of BytesWidget.

What is the "raison d'être" of ASCIIWidget v.s. BytesWidget if they expect the same type of input (plain ASCII text) and store it the same type of fields?

This seems a bit confusing for me...