Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
Dmitry Vasiliev wrote:

Hi!

Some time ago there has been a discussion on Zope3-Users list about specifying an encoding of the PageTemplateFile like this:

<browser:page
    template="tempalte.pt"
    encoding="utf-8"
/>

So there are some questions:

- Is anybody working on this?
- What should be the default encoding if no encoding is given? UTF-8?
- Can we include this functionality in Zope 3.1 release? I guess we at least can set the default encoding of the PageTemplateFile to "UTF-8" without any problems.

I wouldn't mind such a change, but I think it's a little too late for 3.1. The first beta of 3.1 is already out, that means a feature freeze.

Ok. But default 'ascii' encoding seems like a bug for me and I want to change it to 'utf-8' before the release.

In the long term, I would rather have this specified the way it should be with XML data: using an <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> processing instructions.

The reason this doesn't work right now (or, I should say, work the way you'd expect it) is because the PageTemplate machinery makes the (now unnecessary) distinction between HTML and XML. It uses two different parsers for those; that way it can support SGML-based HTML4. HTML mode is the default, XML mode gets triggered by an <?xml ?> processing instruction like the one above.

Apart from enforcing XML syntax, XML mode also requires you to explicitly provide definitions for the TAL, METAL and i18n namespaces (I think this is a good thing because a) it's the standard and b) people from other technologies know standard and are tired of Zope constantly cooking its own soup). Also, macros from XML PageTemplates are incompatible with macros from HTML PageTemplates.

So, to conclude, I would propose to rip out HTML mode of PageTemplates completely in the long term. Everyone nowadays uses XHTML, the drawbacks are (apart from the required namespace declarations) none and the benefits apart from the discussed encoding issue are a) less code to maintain and b) compliance with standards.

I don't agree. Now I want to use PageTemplates for i-mode HTML which is like restricted HTML, not XHTML.

--
Dmitry Vasiliev (dima at hlabs.spb.ru)
    http://hlabs.spb.ru