OK, I can live with that. But then I want the possibility to
suppress the xml declaration when the page is sent to the
browser, because otherwise IE will go into quirks mode.

Say I want to use utf-8 in my page template, I can do so right now:
I just have start my page template with an xml declaration:

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  here comes my page template, possibly with umlauts etc.

You are correct in that there is no need to specify
something like

But the situation right now is, that then the page template
is delivered to the browser starting with this xml declaration

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  rest of rendered page template

which causes IE to go into quirks mode, as I pointed out,
here is the link again:

This means, right now it is not possible to write pages in utf-8
e. g., have them delivered to browser and interpreted by the browser
(say IE) in standards mode.

Some configuration to suppress the xml declaration is needed,
i. e. I want the output sent to the browser to be:

  just rest of rendered page template
  (no xml declaration in the first line)
can probably be a configuration on a zope instance or add-on
level, i. e. doesn't have to be a configuration on an individual
page template by page template level.