For a Zope 3 project I'm working on, I'd like the root of the site to be
stateless.  In other words, I don't want the root of my application to
be stored in ZODB; I want it to come from either the filesystem or
Python code.  In fact, at the moment, I'd prefer not to open a ZODB
connection at all.  Is there any way to do that?

A stateless root would let me treat Zope like Apache.  It would be
easier than ever to create a new site.  Scaling would become a more
"boring" problem [1].  Many Python developers would probably find Zope
more comprehensible and interesting.

[1] http://www.loudthinking.com/arc/000479.html

Shane