Tim Peters wrote:
Adam is running on Windows.

Sorry, my email has been up and down today, I didn't read the message mentioning that until later.

Ctrl+Break stops it instantly, but then the C libraries don't get a
chance to clean up (like Unix kill -9).

The Windows Service shutdown code in Zope3 also does a "very hard kill" (a Win32 TerminateProcess()).

All very true. I think you'll also agree that it doesn't pose any particular danger during development.

Well, the Z3 Windows Service shutdown code isn't wholly safe, ditto Ctrl+Break

If you're referring to the fact that Python's shutdown code (including calling atexit registered functions) don't get run in those instances, then I would agree that it "isn't wholly safe".

I'd also say that it isn't very smart to do that in a production environment, but we're talking about development, and I don't see a problem there (and haven't yet, as that's how I always shut down Zope 3 on Windows)

<snip code>
appears to be the same thing the Z3 "Shutdown server" button does, and
at least lets Python exit cleanly.

Benji York
Senior Software Engineer
Zope Corporation