As the person who refactored SimpleInputWidget (not the author), I concur that
it can be trying to use. We've actually forked that code, so I can't say
whether it makes things easier or harder.

There's certainly enough collective experience with forms/widgets that we could
stand another round of refactoring.

Jim, it sounds like you've got some specific ideas in mind. I know you
mentioned helper functions at one point. Do you have some widgets at ZC that
illustrate your thinking?

 -- Garrett