--- Begin Message ---

Hi everybody,

This week Zope-3.1 has been released as a release candidate meaning the
final version will be out pretty soon. Thus it's time to think seriously
about Z3/ECM future.

I have couple of points below I would like us to discuss. There is some
technical part and other ones more dealing with organization around.

==========================
Dispatch Zope3 -- Z3/ECM
==========================

Zope3 includes much more content management paradigms inherited from the
CMF such as content object, workflows, versionning, etc... The trick is
being able to draw a border and decide what will go to the Zope3 core
and what will go to Z3/ECM.

For instance, let's talk about the workflow. The architecture
right now is 3 components based : xpdlcore / zope.wfmc / ecmworkflow.
xpdlcore and zope.wfmc will hopefully be in the Zope3 core and
ecmworkflow will be the top layer that Zope3/ECM will provide with ECM
specifics.

There are 2 facts to consider with Zope3 :

 - Zope3 development is driven back by proposals.
 - Zope3 release cycles are now scheduled on a time basis (june /
december). (same as Zope2)

The trunk will not be frozen for 3 months starting from now for the 3.2
 branch.

Thus it means we need to decide which components will go to the Zope3
core and write proposals for those.

The proposal wiki is over there :
http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/FrontPage/Zope3Proposals

=============================
Z3/ECM goals
=============================

1) Migration path for your Zope2 applications using Zope3 technology

   In here, I mean instead of writing or refactoring your Zope2
framework (CPS, Plone, Silva, etc...) you can develop "pure" Zope3
components that will be used and integrated within your framework with
the use of Five as a bridge.

   This is the safe way to get involved in this effort for your
organization. One good thing is that Zope-2.8 has X3.0.x shipped within
so this transition will be be even easier.

   But Zope3/ECM components are *pure* Zope3 components that don't want
to hear about Zope2.

2) A brand new powerful framework based on Zope3

   This point is pretty clear and the goal as well.

3) Build a strong community to achieve points 1) and 2)

   Pretty clear point as well

4) Having a project supported by the industry

   Different companies involved, and the Zope Foundation's arriving (see
below)

Council of architects or pope-based decisions

The point 1) above doesn't imply anybody to take decisions about a given
component apart from the people developing / using it because there's no
"global" framework architecture yet.

The point 2) involves a clear different approach to decide which
component should be part of the Z3/ECM core and how they should be
designed. I see so far 2 options for this :

  - Either a pope-based decision process as in Zope3
  - Or a council of architects that will take the decisions. (see
ObjectWeb consortium or Eclipse Foundation)

===============================
Zope Foundation
===============================

I guess it's the wish of everybody that the Z3/ECM project will be a
Zope Foundation project. So the point above is definitely tied to this one.

===============================
Status of sub-projects ?
================================

Here it is. I would like to ask the people that started to work on
Z3/ECM to write a status on their sub-projects so that we could get a
clear vision of what's done and the direction it takes. As well, it
might be interesting to get an overview of what other people think they
will start on the short term.

Looking forward for your comments.

Cheers,

        J.

- --
Julien Anguenot | Nuxeo R&D (Paris, France)
CPS Platform : http://www.cps-project.org
Zope3 / ECM   : http://www.z3lab.org
mail: anguenot at nuxeo.com; tel: +33 (0) 6 72 57 57 66

--- End Message ---