On Aug 4, 2005, at 11:34 PM, Tres Seaver wrote:

Stephan Richter wrote:

On Thursday 04 August 2005 22:40, Gary Poster wrote:

When trying to determine a plug point for some functionality we were
contemplating, Fred Drake and I were surprised to see that
zope.app.publication.httpfactory.HTTPPublicationRequestFactory
allowed for specifying the SOAP request factory, but not any of the
other request factories (HTTPRequest, BrowserRequest,
XMLRPCRequest).  This smells like an oversight/bug.  I'd like to fix
this for 3.1.

Shrug, this is a risky change. If something goes wrong there, a lot of code will be screwed. I agree it is fairly trivial to fix, but I would prefer it to be done right. I plan to address the entire HTTPRequest/ Publication/...
issue with the Twisted integration work.

+1 for Gary's change: I don't see any risk at all, if the default remains.

I agree, of course, but Stephan is release manager. Stephan, I'll try to convince you of this one more time over IRC. :-) I think it's a significant wart and oversight to have a component system that does not allow you to choose a different component for the browser request (when even another sort of request has the ability!).

It should minimally go in the trunk, so if Stephan rejects it as a 3.1 bugfix then I'll write it up as a small proposal, I suppose.

Gary