Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
Benji York wrote:
Can you give an example of one of these pieces of knowledge?

    "John gives a book to Mary"

If you store the relations "John drops the book" and "Mary picks the
book" how will you know if the book belongs to Mary and belonged to John
before it was given to her? You could add "the book belongs to John"
"the book belongs to Mary", add some date information, add the fact that
the action is a gift (reification), ... all the pieces still have to be
put together. This will need to be interpreted in a language (or a query
language that does unions, intersections, ..) that knows how to put the
pieces together. The model is very verbose is not explicit at all.

I assume you mean "no combination of dyadic predicates using only John, the book, and Mary as subjects and objects". If so, I agree.

We're drifting fatally off topic here, but: Just as there are some statements that cannot be expressed as dyadic predicates, are there also those which cannot be expressed as triadic predicates?

    "John gives a book to Mary in exchange for 5 euros"

If you store the relations "John gives a book to Mary" and "Mary gives 5 euros to John" how will you know that the 5 euros were payment for the book?
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer
Zope Corporation