On Aug 27, 2005, at 6:08 AM, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

Previously Gary Poster wrote:

We have at least three maintained and capable ZODB backends,  with
different strengths and weaknesses, appropriate for different  use
cases.  Lets not jump to discard any of them.

With current filesystem developments it might be interesting to try
and use more filesystem capabilities in backends. Storing metadata
in extended attributes would be interesting for example. There is
always room for some experiments :)

Yes, and thank you for letting me agree with you. :-)

I'm not asserting that ZODB BTrees are the answer to world hunger; or that O/R mapping is evil and must be destroyed; or that we shouldn't experiment to find better solutions to our real problems. My points are intended to be most pertinent to core design decisions for Zope community projects, given the current state of the Zope world.

In regards to your example idea, I agree that it might be an interesting approach to explore in ZODB backends. I bet Ape would be the easiest way to begin experimenting with it.

Gary