On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 03:54:45PM +0200, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
| Julien Anguenot wrote:
[...]

| > If you change the header like this then it can be succesfully included :
| >
| > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
| >       xmlns:tal="http://xml.zope.org/namespaces/tal";
| >       xmlns:metal="http://xml.zope.org/namespaces/metal";
| >       xmlns:i18n="http://xml.zope.org/namespaces/i18n";
| >       i18n:domain="zope">
| >
| > What kind of issue could we have changing the headers like this on all
| > the standard macros since it's xhtml already ?
|
| I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Because once Zope3's macros are XML
| mode, all other templates using those macros need to be XML mode. That,
| in turn, means that all templates need to carry the <?xml ...?>
| processing instruction because that's the only way XML mode is currently
| triggered. Since that processing instruction is optional (as opposed to
| namespace declarations which are mandatory), I wouldn't want to force it
| on template authors.

Don't forget that IE will then have an insane tendency to render the
pages wrong.  I don't recall all of the details, but it was something
like if the document began with <?xml ?> IE would switch to "quirks
mode" and do funny things with boxes, margins, and the overall layout.
The details are in this list's archives (if they aren't it's in the
zope@zope.org list archives).

(not that I'm a fan of IE, but I do recall that being a problem for
some people)

-D

--
"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
    --Jim Elliot

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]