Am 07.09.2005 um 15:42 schrieb Tres Seaver:

Florent Guillaume wrote:

Jim Fulton wrote:

I think that sources are different than initial value. I really don't
see any role that "initial value" has in an object specification.

A schema is a specification for an object that provides the schema.
An initial value doesn't constrain or specify the object. If anything,
it constrains applications that create the object, but in a rather

But a schema is useful for more than "specifying the values of an
object". All notions of schemas I've encountered (CPS Schemas, XML
Schemas, Archetypes) use the schema to constrain or validate an existing
object, yes, but also to create new objects from scratch (even in the
absence of widgets). Being able to specify initial values is quite
important there.

RDBMS schemas are an important counter to the "default isn't schema"
case, too.  Defaults become particularly important when migrating
content "forward" over time.

But actually this started with the observation that if we keep default, we need something like a dynamic default, not only a fixed value in the schema definition. This happens for example if one wants to set the current date as the default.

Will this be adressed?