Stephan Richter wrote:
On Monday 12 September 2005 12:31, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

So, I would like to give "principal" a better name. How about
"participant"? After all, a principal _participates_ in an interaction
through a participation (e.g. an HTTP request). Participant should also
be pretty easy to translate: it's a common word, especially outside IT
vocubulary, which means chances are good to find appropriate native
translations for it.

This is not true. A group is also a principal, but a group does not participate in an interaction.

BTW, I think Jim took those terms from established security patterns.

Regards,
Stephan

From an end user point of view, the use of "principal" can be confusing. But for developers, it is common to use "principal". For example both in .NET and Java, principal is being used as term for "user". See for example:

http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/clr/about_security.aspx