Stephan Richter wrote:
Oh :-( That sucks. Is there a DBAPI sig for python that we should be
talking to about getting that fixed?

There is a sig and we could try. But I have *very* little hope that such a proposal would come to fruition. Most applications don't really care about supporting many DB backends.

Waaagh :'(

2. Advanced DA implementations support much more datatype conversion than
the default database connection package.

Yes, but it's inconsistency between DAs on this front that causes
problems...

Well, the Python DB-API is even worse and does not even try to specify type returns. I agree, maybe we should create a recommendation for Zope 3 DB adapters.

*nods*

For example, a good DB adapter should always ensure
that all datetimes have pytz timezones associated with them.

Exactly, which is why that kind of stuff should be in a central place.
What happens if a DA DOESN'T do this when someone is expecting it to?
(the other common problematic type is that of an SQL NULL)

Well, I would love to see a draft on a Zope 3 DA standardization.

And I'd love to write one, but I still need to get to grips with the basics of Zope 3 first ;-)

Gimme a poke in a month or two!

cheers,

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk