Jim Fulton wrote:

I've put doesn some thoughs for discussion on making the publication APIs
more explicit and for supporting post processing tasks like adding
standard look and feel or adding missing page components.

I've read through this a couple of times now. First, thanks a bunch, Jim, for putting so much thought into it.

Couple of thoughts:

1) I don't know if it is or isn't in-scope to discuss page composition outside of Zope server.

Consider the headings under "Need for page-composition support", "Pipelines", "Transitive Adaptation", and the subset described under "Subscription". It might be possible to also do these inside a WSGI Twisted in Zope 3.2, for example. It might also be possible to do these in mod_python.

They all depend on whether "Publication Post-Processing" should be able to access content *beyond* what enters the publication process.

2) Regarding ordering of events for subscription, it reminds me of (my apologies for this) XSLT. You can have multiple temlates matching on variations of the same "event", so to speak:

<xsl:template match="person">
<xsl:template match="[EMAIL PROTECTED]'customer']">
<xsl:template match="person" mode="header">

The spec and decisions made by implementors govern which matches. If I understand it correctly, they seem to have reached the opposite conclusion as you. More specific matches first, more general doesn't get called.

I like the merits of your thinking, though: "It might be argued that invoking more general subscribers first is, in fact, a reasonable, as it allows specific subscribers to build on work done by more general subscribers."

3) I'd be interested to hear how testing could be woven into the adapation process you describe. Meaning, ways to make statements about the structure of the things coming in and going out.