I've placed some newly-open-sourced code into the zope.org sandbox: svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Sandbox/zc/buildout/trunk.

The buildout is a (relatively simple) system for assembling software from several components. Python and Non-Python components are supported. An example buildout is available at svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Sandbox/zc/buildout/trunk/example/ (be forewarned that that builds (from source) Python and libxml2, so it'll take a while to run to completion).

What the buildout is not:
 - it's not make, it doesn't do dependency analysis, it doesn't (in
   and of itself) help with compiling, linking, etc. like SCONS
 - it's not a replacement for zpkg; we think that the buildout and
   zpkg will interact, but one will not subsume the other
 - other stuff

What the buildout is:
 - a helpful way to deploy software
 - a helpful way of setting up a developer copy of a system
 - a way to make system configuration repeatable and versionable
 - other stuff

I'll be glad to entertain questions or comments on the list.
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer