One comment on the section "Questioning HTML mode" in this document:

HTML mode is still useful for user agents that use a SGML parser instead of a XML parser and would break if they had to deal with real XML code. I know, such user agents are very rare, Netscape 4 comes into my mind. (If you want to make Netscape 4 burn just put a <br/> somewhere in the source).

Why does HTML mode help? It converts <foo/> to <foo />.

This behaviour is described in appendix C of the XHTML specs.

    "This appendix summarizes design guidelines for authors who wish
    their XHTML documents to render on existing HTML user agents."

Here a quote from an artikle at Wikipedia:

    "Rather, XHTML 1.0 was intentionally designed to be usable by
    HTML 4.0 user agents, like Internet Explorer, if certain document
    authoring guidelines for backward compatibility were followed."

From this information I come to the conclusion that it would be best to simply follow the compatibility guidlines in appendix C. HTML mode helps me to do this by inserting a space before the closing slash.

Just my two cents.